Aim of this guidance
This guidance is aimed at providing an overview of the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and how it relates to you as an employer.
This forms part of our guidance on carrying out criminal record checks.
Why this is important
- The DBS processes applicants for standard, enhanced and enhanced with barred list checks
- The DBS is responsible for the barred lists
Levels of checks
- Only certain positions can involve a standard, enhanced or enhanced with barred list criminal record check.
- It is a criminal offence to knowingly submit an application which is not eligible.
Code of Practice
All organisations carrying out DBS checks must comply with the DBS Code of Practice.
DBS contact details
You can contact DBS customer services:
- by email: email@example.com
- by telephone: 03000 200 190
- There is a detailed guide to DBS checks on the GOV.UK website
- More details about the DBS can be found on their website
- There is more information about carrying out criminal record checks, which forms part of the practical guidance section of Recruit!
- For further advice about this guidance, please contact us.
Has this been useful?
You can let us know by:
- Writing a comment on this page (see below)
- Sending your feedback directly to us
- Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there anything wrong with this guidance? Let us know – email email@example.com.