Aim of this guidance
This guidance provides employers with an overview of the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). This forms part of our guidance on carrying out criminal record checks.
Why this is important
- The DBS processes basic, standard, enhanced and enhanced with barred list checks
- The DBS is responsible for maintaining the barred lists
Levels of checks
- Only certain positions are eligible for standard, enhanced or enhanced with barred list criminal record check.
- It is a criminal offence to knowingly submit an application which is not eligible.
Code of Practice
All organisations carrying out DBS checks must comply with the DBS Code of Practice.
DBS contact details
You can contact the DBS:
- by email: email@example.com
- by telephone: 03000 200 190
- There is a detailed guide to DBS checks on the GOV.UK website
- More details about the DBS can be found on their website
- Find out more about carrying out criminal record checks, in the practical guidance section of Recruit!
- For further advice about this guidance, please contact us.
Has this been useful?
You can let us know by:
- Writing a comment on this page (see below)
- Sending your feedback directly to us
- Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there anything wrong with this guidance? Let us know – email email@example.com.